Friday, January 14, 2005

Soul Prints

I'm currently reading a book by Marc Gafni, entitled Soul Prints. The concept of Soul Prints, is that each individual person has what he refers to as, a Soul Print. This is, essentially, like a fingerprint -- unique, all your own, and rather than being from a finger, it's from your soul. I know that my description doesn't give his eloquent writing justice, so please, forgive me. I haven't finished reading the book, but an important message that I have gathered from what I've read thus far, is that if you do not know your own soul print, your ability to know anothers' is stunted. Implied in this book, is that the human condition of loneliness, aloneness, is due to our need to connect with others; to exchange soul prints.

As Melissa put it earlier on the blog, so much of our society is obsessed with possessions and success, usually that of the material variety. The capitalistic world that we live in, is full of war, sadness, and grief. Politicians attack one another over 'moral values' - be it war, social security, abortion, gay rights, or the welfare system. Each party deems itself to be the party of the people and in doing so, steps on people.

I wonder what would happen, if just for a few moments, people put down their need to be right, and made themselves receptive to another's soul print. If, rather than shouting their morality from the rooftop, they took a moment to validate and contemplate the moral views of another, to accept the soul print of their foe.

This book is proving to be a very interesting read, and best of all, it's making me think. Which, is my alltime favorite hobby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home